The Department of International Relations and Cooperation’s (DIRCO) vision is an African continent, which is prosperous, peaceful, democratic, non-racial, non-sexist and united and which contributes to a world that is just and equitable.
DIRCO’s mission is to formulate, coordinate, implement and manage South Africa’s foreign policy and international relations programmes and promote South Africa’s National Interest and values and the African Renaissance (and create a better world for all).
- Through bilateral and multilateral interactions protect and promote South African national interests and values
- Conduct and coordinate South Africa’s international relations and promote its foreign policy objectives
- Monitor international developments and advise government on foreign policy and related domestic matters
- Protect South Africa’s sovereignty and territorial integrity
- Contribute to the formulation of international law and enhance respect for the provisions thereof
- Promote multilateralism to secure a rules-based international system
- Maintain a modern, effective and excellence-driven department
- Provide consular services to South African nationals abroad
- Provide a world-class and uniquely South African State Protocol service.
The Department of International Relations and Cooperation adheres to the following values:
- Batho Pele
- Constitutional Values (Chapter 10).